7. Health Advocacy Organizations
7.1. Healthcare Advocacy Groups
- Physicians for a National Health Program (PNHP)
- An organization of health care professionals that support a single-payer national health insurance (NHI) program in which the government finances health care but leaves the delivery of health care to private entities.
- Fights to achieve a national single-payer healthcare system by raising up the voices of patients who feel isolated in their struggles with the healthcare system, educating activists to gain the knowledge and skills they need to become leaders, and mobilizing the single-payer healthcare movement through collective action.
- Families USA
- Dedicated to achieving high-quality, affordable health care for all Americans.
- Doctors for America
- Mobilizes doctors and medical students to be leaders in putting patients over politics on the pressing issues of the day to improve the health of our patients, communities, and nation.
- Community Catalyst
- Provides leadership and support to state and local consumer organizations, policymakers, and foundations working to change the health care system so it serves everyone — especially vulnerable members of society.
- Doctors Without Borders USA
- An international independent medical humanitarian organization that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural or man-made disasters, or exclusion from health care in more than 70 countries. Also known as Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF).
- Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM)
- Promotes preventive medicine, conducts clinical research, and encourages higher standards for ethics and effectiveness in medical research.
7.2. Anti-Smoking Groups
- Action on Smoking and Health (ASH)
- Serves as the legal action arm of the nonsmoking community, bringing or joining in legal actions concerning smoking, and insuring that the voice of the nonsmoker is heard.
- Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids
- Fights to free America’s youth from tobacco addiction and exposure to secondhand smoke and to create a healthier environment.
- American Nonsmokers’ Rights Foundation (ANR)
- Dedicated to nonsmokers’ rights and taking on the tobacco industry at all levels of government to protect nonsmokers from secondhand smoke and youth from tobacco addiction.
- Truth Initiative
- Dedicated to making tobacco use a thing of the past by spreading the truth about tobacco through education, tobacco-control research and policy studies, and community activism and engagement.